This dish is a traditional cuban dish. It is one of my favorites because it is so simple but delicious. I love to cook this dish with my grandmother.She was the one who taught me this family recipe. We have so much fun cooking it and eating it after.
My whole family loves this dish because it is full of flavor and it’s a special treat. We only eat it on special occasions or if my grandmother is in town. It goes great with Plantains and a nice salad of avocado and tomatoes.
Cook Time:48 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 4 garlic cloves smashed and finely cut
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 2 cups of Spanish style yellow rice
- 1 cup of white cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 chicken breasts sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock preferably homemade
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 4 oz of sliced pimientos drained
- 1 gram (0.04 oz) of Spanish or regular saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro to garnish
- Pour the onion, green pepper, garlic and oil in a large pot or dutch oven and let cook for 3 minutes on low heat .
- Add tomato sauce and chicken and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, water and chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling add rice, salt, cooking wine,bay leaves and saffron and let cook for 40 minutes on low heat.
- Add pimientos and stir
- Remove bay leaves transfer to a serving dish and garnish with cilantro.